The story was not dissimilar in 1890, when Wolverton's first rugby club was making its way in the competitive world of its day. As can be read in this newspaper report from the Northampton Mercury of 4 January 1890, Wolverton was short of players. However, here they are, playing Northampton at Franklin's Gardens. Northampton is now one of the mightiest teams in the land and it boggles the mind a bit that Wolverton was once thought to be on a more-or-less equal footing. Two week's later, they travelled to Warwick.
In 1890 Wolverton Rugby Club played on a pitch marked out beside the canal, in the field between the Galleon bridge and the blackboards bridge, now of course a housing development.
In the article below the Wolverton umpire was Mr. F. Swain, a keen sportsman in his day, and the man who founded Swain's sports shop at 48 Church Street.