Wolverton's rapidly growing population, which outstripped Stony Stratford in its first decade, put some pressure on the authorities to provide a market and at the end of 1842 it was agreed to build a Market House at a cost of £173 17s 6d. It was located beside the Stratford Road in the open space to the north of Glyn Square.
Here is a drawing in elevation. It appears to be a simple building.
In 1884 work began on the widening of the road and bridge over the railway and at the same time it was decided to rebuild the market house. Probably at this time the two storey building was erected, although the market hall continued to use the ground floor.