Monday, April 29, 2013

Wolverton and Stony Stratford in 1825


Here's a very different view of the Wolverton area. The canal has arrived but the railway is scarcely in anyone's imagination. The year of this publication is 1825 and was undertaken by a man called Bryant, about whom very little is known - not even his first name.

Stony Stratford is recognisable with development along the High Street of course and houses around Horse fair, the Market Square and Mill Lane. There is a tannery away from the residential part. Russell Street has yet to come into existence but there are cottages along what was then called Back lane.

Wolverton Park is Wolverton House and most of the land around there was farmed from this centre, although there was a farm house where the house called Wolverton Park now stands. Warren Farm came into existence later in the century. Tanor Farm is marked as Wolverton House. this may have been a map maker's error.

Slated Row was built only a few years earlier and is marked on the map as Tenements.

The Old Wolverton Road was there but not known by that name at the time and takes you along the valley to Stonebridge House Farm where it joins the road from Calverton, which at that time could go uninterrupted across the fields. The only surviving parts of this ancient road are Green Lane in Wolverton and the track alongside the Wolverton cemetery. New Bradwell was non-existent and the only buildings were a toll house on the Newport Road, a wharf house and cottages, The New Inn and the Windmill.

Stacey Bushes Farm was beside Bradwell Brook in those days. The present house (now the core of MK Museum) was built in the 1860s.

On the Watling Street a Mr Wilkinson had his brick yards. He also farmed and the farm was later known as Brick Kiln Farm. Today it is an industrial area known as Kiln Farm. The land in the middle was known as "The Furzes" - hence Furze Way. Fields that were still farmed until comparatively recent times were known as Ardwell, Greenleys and Fuller Slade. These names have been preserved in housing developments.

The roads had toll gates in those days. There was one at Two Mile Ash, another at the bridge. The Stratford to Newport road had a toll house just to the east of Stony and there was another on at the bottom of Stantonbury Hill. Each time you had to pay, so some journeys could become expensive.

No comments: