Of the 10 lots that were available for development in 1860, 5 were built and inhabited by the time of the census in 1861. According to the plan here, Number 9. sold to Joseph Lepper a grocer on Gas Street, was perhaps the first to be built. The others were Lot 1 (now Nos. 6,7,8); Lot 2 (No.9); Lots 4 and 5 (Nos. 13 and 14).
Once development started, Wolverton began to look like this.
|The first three buildings on the Stratford Road - the Royal Engineer (1841), Nos 6-7 and 9, built in 1860|
|6-7 Stratford road built in 1860 as a single house. 8 was added in the 1890s|
|9 Stratford Road, built in 1860.|
|Two 3 storey houses built in 1860|
The three storey buildings were initially large private houses (one was called Belvedere House) but they quickly adapted to a commercial function.
|18-19 Stratford Road, built in 1860 as a grocery|
During this first decade most of the front was filled in. The North Western Hotel was opened in 1864 on Lot Number 3 with space on either side, presumably for access for horses. However, before 1871 one of these spaces was filled by an attached property, now Number 12.
|Built in 1864. Originally it had a central doorway with access to the yard on either side.|
|15 and 16 Stratford Road, built in the 1860s|
|17 Stratford Road, built on Lot 8 in the 1860s|
|20-21 Stratford Road. Although this operated separate businesses for well over a century, it was built in the 1860s as a single building.|
|Lock-up, flat-roofed shop units built in the 1890s|
|The Front looking west c. 1960s|