|The Front at the beginning of the 20th Century|
In this picture the corner shop is the premises of William Hutchinson, a hairdresser and tobacconist. Next to him was a cycle shop, the sign above indicating the Hobart Cycle Company. By 1911 this was the Grafton Cycle Company, who later moved to the premises which still bears the name further down the street.
The shop next door, which is now two shops (as it has been for a long time) numbered 18 and 19 was mainly occupied by John Verney who was originally a shoemaker but was also the Postmaster. So from the 1880s onwards this was Wolverton's Post Office, although it may also have accommodated some other businesses. The Post Office appears to have remained here until the new GPO was built on Church Street in the 1930s.
Next to the east at Number 17 was a Chemist, and had been thus from almost it's first build in the 1860s.
The censuses and Trade Directories show:
- George Atkinson
- William Barton (from 1891)
- Alfred Leeming (from 1911)
- Walter Mackerness (from 1939)