Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Wolverton in its Prime - 3 The Town

By the turn of the last century Wolverton had taken the shape that many of us would recognize,but there is still a way to go, as we can see from these maps. Windsor Street marked the end of the LNWR in the town's residential development. The next section (seen here in partial development) was undertaken by the Radcliffe Trust who had come to the conclusion that there was more money to be made in developing the land themselves rather than sell it to the railway company. Hence, Peel Road, Jersey Road and Anson Road were all named after Radcliffe Trustees - and very prominent men they were too! After that the Wolverton Urban District Council took over.

Wolverton in 1905- The Western End

As you can see, at this date Stratford Road and Church Street have been extended and a part of Peel Road and Jersey Road built. The Boys School (still there) was built in 1896, but the Girls and Infants school did not open until 1906.

Peel Road was then just a short terrace on one side. The southern section came later and there was still a green corner that was not developed until the 1980s. The upper sections of Jersey Road were also developed later. You can see variations in architectural finish on the front of these houses which will give slight clues as to the date of their build.

The houses at the west end of Church Street were occupied first in 1908. I know that because my grandparents got married in that year and moved into one of those houses when there was still some finishing work to do.

This whole section of the town was still very new at this time. Cambridge Street and Windsor Street had been built in the 1890s and were themselves less than a decade old.

Western Road was developed in the 1920s. Again, if you look at the frontages of the houses you can see some stylistic differences.

Note too that the site of the Craufurd Arms is still a green patch. This was built in 1908.

Wolverton in 1905 - The Eastern end


By the turn of the 20th century the works had claimed al the land north of the Stratford Road and Gas Street and the ast houses in Bury Street were pulled down. The southern "little streets" remained until the 1960s. with the exception of the north side of Glyn Square which had been taken down to build a laundry. The Gables (at that time a large house in its own grounds for the Works Manager) had been built in 1886. The new doctor's house and surgery at the bottom of Green Lane, known as The Elms, was built shortly after this map was drawn.

The old school on Creed Street, much expanded since 1840, was operating as a Girls and Infants School at this time. When the new school opened on Aylesbury Street the building functioned as a Market Hall  on Fridays until the Agora was opened in 1980. Parts of the building have been demolished and it now serves as a Library and Town Meeting Room.

One further comment. In 1900, possibly as a consequence of this development, Wolverton decided to adopt a rational numbering system for its houses. That is, houses were assigned sequential odd numbers on the left hand side (facing south or west) and even numbers on the right hand side. The Stratford Road,  which had been numbered from west to east, changed its numbering to start from the east. Up to this time Number 1 had been what is now 44, but with the westward expansion this was no longer feasible. By the way, the Stratford Road was numbered sequentially from 1 upwards without the odd-even split - it being felt that there was no future possibility that anyone on the north side would need an address. Circumstances do change!

Monday, May 30, 2011

Wolverton in its Prime - 2 The Workshops

Wolverton Works - Eastern End
The original Engine Shed of 1838 was the square taken up by (27) Fitting Shop, (28) Wheel Turning Shop, (35) Gas Fitters Shop, (36) Brass Finishing Shop, (37) Brake Shop.

The first expansion was on the east side of the line (45). This was later expanded to include the whole triangle with (47). Building No 48 was the site of the Reading Room.

The next stage of expansion was south of the Stratford Road with newer engine sheds at 49. The second station buildings 43 and 44 have been adapted. Building 42, the accumulator shop was a later building. The terrace on the north side of Glyn Square was demolished to build a laundry (41). The laundry building later became part of the Training School in the 1950s.

Northern expansion began in 1855 when the three northernmost streets were demolished. Buildings (29)  Forge, and (31) Iron Foundry are on this site. North of the canal, on the embankment, buildings (32) Tin Shop and (34) Lifting Shop, were built in the 1880s when the Park was developed on the site of the Radcliffe Arms. The third (and last) Gas Works was at this time sited on the Old Wolverton Road. (52)

Bury Street and Gas Street were finally demolished in the 1890s to make way for (25) Bogie Shop, (26) General Stores and 38) Tool Rooms, (39) Testing Room. The General Offices (40) were built over the former site of the first Gas Works.

Probably at this stage of development the famous or infamous wall (depending on your point of view) was built to extend from McCorquodales to the Reading Room.

The Forge (29) and Smithy (19) date from the 1860s. The carpenters Shop (15) and Sawmill (14) are later.

At the Main Entrance there is the Time Office (21) and Canteen (22). Lower down are the Underframe shops (16 and 17), the Electrical Shop (18) and two Polishing Rooms (23 and 24). It should be noted that electricity was still a very new thing and even new houses in Wolverton were still supplied with gas lighting.


In the 1870s two of the villas were demolished to build a new paint shop (49)


At the far western end, once the  works was able expand, most of the new buildings here were given over to timber storage and preparation. Wood was an important component in carriage building back then and the level of craftmanship was held to be very high. Buildings (1,2,4 and 8) are for timber storage and drying.
Buildings (6) for carriage repairs and (7) was a wheel and axle shop.

Everything about the carriages and wagons built in Wolverton, from the wheels an chassis to the lettering was done behind the wall. This was a feature of manufacturing at the time. All was done "in house". The idea of sourcing components from outside was foreign to the Victorian mind and did not begin to take root until after WW II. The idea was to keep close control over the production and therefore the quality. Thus Works the size of Wolverton were essential to create the product. Today this massive industrialization is a thing of the past.


Sunday, May 29, 2011

Wolverton in its Prime - 1 The Works


This plan is taken from a map which I would date circa 1905. The new Radcliffe Trust development of Peel Road, Jersey Road and Anson Road is underway, but not yet complete. The new Girls and Infants School on Aylesbury Street is pencilled in but yet to be built and the same is true of the Church Institute on Creed Street and the Moon Street School. The Carriage Works however, has reached the full westeern extent of its development. There were changes to come, but in terms of territory, this was the limit. The workshops and principal buildings have been numbered and a table and sectional views follow below.


Wolverton Works c. 1905
Reference to Workshops and Sheds
1 Timber Gantry
2 Timber House
3 New Paint Shop
4 Timber Stores
5 Lifting Shop
6 Carriage Repairs
7 Wheel & Axle Shop
8 Timber Drying Shed
9 Power Station
10 Horse Box Shop
11 Parcel Cart and Omnibus
12 Finishing Shop
13 Body Shop
14 Saw Mill
15 Carpenter's Shop
16 Underframe Shop
17 Underframe Shop
18 Electrical Shop
19 Smith's Shop
20 Finishing Shop
21 Time Office
22 Dining Hall
23 Polishing Room
24 Polishing Room
25 Bogie Shop
26 General Stores
27 Fitting Shop
28 Wheel Turning Shop
29 Forge
30 Brass Foundry
31 Iron Foundry
32 Tin Shop
33 Engine Shed
34 Lifting Shop
35 Gas Fitters' Shop
36 Brass Finishing Shop
37 Brake Shop
38 Tool Room
39 Testing Room
40 General office
41 Laundry
42 Accumulator Shop
43 Accumulator Shop
44 Washing Shed
45 Paint Shop
46 Paint Shop
47 Trimming Shop
48 Sewing Room
49 Paint Shop
50 Carriage Finishing
51 Electrical Shop
52 Gas Works
53 Wolverton Station

South Eastern Works

North Eastern Works

Western End

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Drill Hall

In the last post I featured The Rifle Volunteers, some of whom went off to fight in the Boer War. The country had a number of volunteer military units, usually organized by County. In 1908 the government of the day organized all of these volunteer militias and yeomanries into a national organization known as the territorial force. After 1922 this became known as the Territorial Army. The word territorial by the way was intended to signify that its volunteers were not required to serve overseas - something that has been overlooked by more recent politicians.

The TA soldiers were trained as fighting men and expected to meet full combat requirements. But there was a second stand of volunteers, the Home Guard, who were generally expected to serve useful but non-combative roles in the event of invasion. The popular TV series Dad's Army was not too far from the mark.  The Home Guard was stood down on December 3rd 1944 and this photograph was taken to mark the occasion.



This photograph was taken outside the Drill Hall at the end of 1944, when the Home Guard detatchment was stood down.
My grandfather has identified almost all the individuals in this picture.
From L to R
Front Row: Lt. Tompkins, Remington, Wesley, Capt. Green, Capt. Glyn Eastman (Adj.)*, Lt. Col. Hayley, Major Ansell, Capt. E.S.D. Moore, Capt. Bland, Lt. Bruce, Snaith, ? (from Castlethorpe)
Rear: CSM W. Gammon, Lt. W. Sharp, Dytham, Howgate, Allen, Gascoyne, Clarke, Williams, Percival, Carvell, QMS Withers

*Glyn Eastman was a professional singer from Bristol who was assigned to this detatchment during the war.

The 1st Buckingham Rifle Volunteers were formed in 1877 and did their drills in one of the works buildings. However in 1914 a Drill Hall was built down the hill on the Haversham Road. This is what it looks like today. There is little difference from 1944 except for the provision of wheel chair access.


The date is clearly given on the plaque above the door:

The Territorial Army continued to use the Drill Hall as its base after the WWII, although reduced in numbers. I seem to remember that there was a commanding officer there and regular activity. I don't know when it ceased to function as an active Drill Hall.



Monday, May 23, 2011

The Boer War and Wolverton


Oliver Ratcliff includes a section in his book The History and Antiquities of the Newport Hundreds a news report about troops leaving for the Boer War in South Africa. I reproduce it here. Two photographs are reprduced from the book - one looks to me like the northern section of Buckingham Street which was pulled down to build The Agora, the other is in front of the Science and Art Institute, also gone.



The Wolverton Rifle Volunteers,

The volunteer force is represented here by No. 6 Company of the First Bucks, and consists almost exclusively of employees of the London & North-Western Railway Company. It was formed in 1877.  The company has always borne a very high character for general smartness and discipline. There is a strong and efficient band, and an ambulance squad.

At the close of the year 1899, this company came to the fore by their response to the call to arms.

On Monday, 1 January 1900, a meeting was convened in the large hall of the Institute, when Major Gilbey was present, and said he was extremely pleased with the excellent body of Wolverton and Buckingham men who had come forward for duty with the army.

The following are the names of the officers and men who volunteered for active service in South Africa, and others had given their names in for garrison duty:

Major H. M. Williams, commanding detachment.

Barker, L. R. Campbell, J. H. Clarke, W. J. Dixon, A. W.

Barley, A. W. Carroll, F. H. Cope, J. E. Dolling, A. J.

Beard, H. R. Carvell, E. Cowley,W. G., Sgt. Dormer, J. R.

Becaon, T. N. Carvell, J. Croft, Sgt. -Instr. Eady, T., Cpl.

Brownnutt, G., Cpl. Chapman, J. E. Davies, W. J. Edwards, W. E.

Felts, A. G. Harding, J. H. Lewis, E. T., Sgt. Spong, A. H.

Fessey^J.B., Bugler. Hawkinis, Lieut. Little, B. Teagle, C, Bugler.

French, H.T. Hawkins, W. Marsh, H. E. Tole,J,

Gibbons, A. Hellenburgh,F,Bglr. Meakins, E. Tooley, A. T.

Giltrow, P. W. Hellenburgh,W, * Meakins, W. Tyson, E. t.

Giltrow, T. H. Hikins,S. North, E. Waite, T. F.

Godfrey, T. Hll, G. H. Olney, W. Webb, E.

Gould, J.  Hill, W. R., Bugler. Pittam, W. Whitestone, D. G.

Grant, H. P. Hopkins, J. T. Powell, F. Whitmee, E. P.

Green, A. G. Humphreys, F. Price, E. O., Sgt. Williams, J. H., Cpl.

Gregory, T. Jackson, R.. L-Cpl. Richardson, A. Wilmin, T. W.

Grimsdick, J. D. Jakeman, O. Roberts, E. Winstanley, F. T.

Harbell, A., L-Cpl. Jenks, A. R. Scott, T. E., Sergt. Woodford, W.

Harbell, J. Jones, G. E. Sewell, A. M Wootton, A. W.

Harbell, J. S. Jones, R. W., Cpl. Shakeshaft, T. B. Wootton, S.

Harding, C. W. Kirby, C, Lce-Cpl. Shackleford, W. T. Wright, W. F.
Harding, J. E.

On no previous occasion has the large hall of the Science and Art Institute presented such a display of loyalty, such a scene of enthusiasm, or such an array of volunteer lights, as was witnessed at the dinner given on Tuesday evening, 6 February 1 900, to recognise the departure of those selected to serve with the Oxfordshire Light Infantry in South Africa. The hall had been decorated with flags, bunting, mottoes, names of the places where the first Bucks had encamped, festoons of artificial flowers, etc. At the back of the platform was the encouraging and appropriate motto, “Good-bye and good luck to the gentlemen in khaki ordered south." Over the portico was a model maxim gun.

The detachment and draft paraded on the Market Square at 12.45 on the following morning under the command of Major Williams and Lieutenant Hawkins. Prior to leaving the square each member was presented with a packet of tobacco. Without ceremony the company, headed by the band, marched via Radcliffe Street, and Stratford, road to the station, their fellow workmen cheering them en route. 

Friday, May 20, 2011

Wolverton Works in WW I

While some railwaymen were off fighting the railway companies played a key role in the war effort. At the war's outbreak the Government invoked the Regulation of Forces Act of 1871 and effectively nationalized the 120 railways companies, and managed them as a single system under a Railways Executive Committee. The railways were commandeered for troop transport, evacuation and the shipping of war materials. The constructon of new locomotive, carriages and wagons was reduced to a bare minimum and the spare capacity was used to  manufacture munitions and machinery.


In Wolverton's case the war production was itemised:
368 vehicles for ambulance trains
one train of 17 vehicles for Military HQ
400 20 ton goods wagons and 40 35-ton trolleys were built for war purposes
1350 general service road vehicles were built
50 packing cases for aeroplanes (I wonder what purpose these served?)
2550 ambulance stretchers
4,000,000 munitions parts
676,000 18 pounder catrridge cases were repaired
48,000 18 pounder shells were painted


This also changed the workforce in significant ways. Older men came out of retirement to replace the younger men who went to war and women were allowed to enter  work areas hitherto populated only by men.


I have a photograph of the accounts staff from about 1910 with not a woman in sight. 




The railways were also a casualty of war. The four years spent supporting the war effort meant that little heed was paid to replenishing locomotives and rolling stock and after the war they were all confronted with a huge demand for capital investment. Unfortunately the government chose to be stingy about compensation and the railway companies were really hurting in the 1920s. The solution they came up with was to "group" the railway companies into four reginal companies. Thus the London Midland and Scottish Railway was born in 1924 and Wolverton found itself part of this. Unfortunately, by 1939, when the companies were just beginning to recover there was another war and the railways were expected to respond in the same manner as the first and were treated just as abysmally after 1945. Nationalisation in 1948 was almost a relief, although it was not a solution.







Thursday, May 19, 2011

Citation for Gallantry 1914-18

Following on from yesterday here is the detail for those railwaymen who were awarded medals during this war. The descriptions tell some remarkable stories. Take these two instances, from what I assume was the Battle of the Somme, which alone accounted for 1.5 million casualties:


2405. Sjt H. C. Baker (Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry). For conspicuous gallantry during a bombing attack when he went forward alone and reconnoitred the position under heavy shell fire and, returning, led up his section driving off the enemy and consolidating the position which he held for two hours until assistance arrived. (16-11-1916).
2244. Cpl W.G.Barnwell (Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry). 
For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during operations. The enemy were seen massing for a counter-attack, but Corporal Barnwell, though wounded, moved his machine-gun out in front of the captured trench and opened fire with such effect that he was largely responsible for the enemy's retreat. (21-11-1916). 



LNWR WW1 GALLANTRY AWARDS WOLVERTON MEN
NAME
Grade
Gallantry Awards
Citation
Notes
MASON, C. L.
Assistant to Carriage Superintendent
Military Cross






Died of wounds 24th August,
SMITH, F. W.
Cleaner, Carriage Department
Military Cross

1916



703. Pte P. Austin 2nd S.Mid Mtd Bde.




Transport and Supply Colm, A.S.c.




(T.F) LG 27th July 1916. For




conspicuous bravery and devotion to




duty when assisting his officers in



Distinguished
dressing and carrying out of action



Conduct
under heavy rifle fire several wounded

AUSTIN, P.
Clerk, Carriage Department
Medal
men




2405. Sjt H. C. Baker (Oxfordshire &




Buckinghamshire Light Infantry). For




conspicuous gallantry during a




bombing attack when he went forward




alone and reconnoitred the position




under heavy shell fire and, returning,




led up his section driving off the enemy




and consolidating the position which he




held for two hours until assistance

BAKER, H. C.
Finisher, Carriage Department
Distinguished Conduct Medal
arrived. (16-11-1916).




2244. Cpl W.G.Barnwell (Oxfordshire




& Buckinghamshire Light Infantry).




For conspicuous gallantry and devotion




to duty during operations. The enemy




were seen massing for a counter-attack,




but Corporal Barnwell, though




wounded, moved his machine-gun out



Distinguished Conduct Medal.
in front of the captured trench and



Also awarded the Military Medal
opened fire with such effect that he was



and the Russian Medal of
largely responsible for the enemy's

BARNWELL, W. G.
Body-maker, Carriage Department
St.George, 2nd Class
retreat. (21-11-1916).







265193. Cpl A Brawn (Oxfordshire &



Buckinghamshire Light Infantry). For



conspicuous gallantry and devotion to



duty. A party of the enemy had



advanced and occupied a position close



to his post. He at once left his post with



his bombers and with great gallantry



attacked and dispersed a superior force.
BRAWN, A
Rubber, Carriage Department
Distinguished Conduct Medal
(18-7-1917)



13880. Sjt S. J. Clarke. Wiltshire



Regiment, 7th Battalion (Bletchley). He



was Acting C.S.M of the left leading



company during the attack on the Foret



de Marmol on the 4th November 1918.



When all the officers of his company



became casualties he took command of



the company and led them most



gallantly to the final objective where he



superintended the consolidation and



continued in command until an officer



was sent forward from the reserve



company to assume command. His



initiative and resource at the critical



moment ensured the success of the
CLARKE, S. J.
Labourer, Carriage Department
Distinguished Conduct Medal
operation. (2-12-1919).



1208. L/Cpl (1st Btn Oxfordshire &



Buckinghamshire Light Infantry TF).



For consistent good work on patrol



duty for the past six months. (11-03-
GOSTELOW, G.
Apprentice Fitter, Carriage Department
Distinguished Conduct Medal
1916).






49308. Sjt G. C. Hill. R.E (LG 20th



Oct, 1916). For conspicuous and



consistent gallantry during operations.



He has over and over again shown great



bravery when in charge of working



parties under heavy fire. He took out


Distinguished Conduct Medal.
his section on ten consecutive nights,


Also awarded the Military Medal
and did fine work under heavy fire,


and the Russian Medal of
though suffering very heavy casualties.
HILL, G. C.
Finisher, Carriage Department
St. George , 1st Class
He was finally wounded himself.



265610. Sjt T. P. Hopcroft



(Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light



Infantry). For conspicuous gallantry



and devotion to duty. He led his men in



the most gallant manner and succeeded



in capturing an enemy machine gun.
HOPCROFT, T. P.
Coachmaker, Carriage Department
Distinguished Conduct Medal
(18-06-1917).





265539. Sjt H. J. Hurst (Oxfordshire &



Buckinghamshire Light Infantry)



Wolverton. For conspicuous gallantry



and devotion to duty in attack. He was



in command of a platoon and, though



wounded, he continued to lead them



gained his objective and consolidated



the position. He then made untiring



efforts to bring in the wounded, and



saved the lives of an officer and several



men. He inspired all his men by his
HURST, H. J.
Coachmaker, Carriage Department
Distinguished Conduct Medal
energy and leadership. (26-1-1918).






20056. Pte E. H. Owen 6th Btn



Northamptonshire Regiment.



(L.Edmonton). (LG lOJan 1920). For



conspicuous gallantry as runner in



operations near Preux, on 4th



November 1918. When his Platoon had



been seriously depleted by casualties



and their objectives were still ungained,



he, operating by himself, succeeded in



capturing twenty prisoners. He has



done continuous good work, and has
OWEN,E.H.
Labourer, Carriage Department
Distinguished Conduct Medal
been three times wounded.



2238. Bugler J. E. Scragg (Oxfordshire



& Buckinghamshire Light Infantry).



For conspicuous gallantry during



operations he was orderly to the



company commander, and when he saw



him fall immediately ran to him,



attended to his wound under heavy fire,



and dragged him fifty yards in broad



daylight into safety. He has many times



shown great coolness under fire. (22-9-
SCRAGG, J. E.
Body-maker, Carriage Department
Distinguished Conduct Medal
1916).
BRADBURY, G.
Labourer, Carriage Department
Military Medal



Military Medal.



Also awarded Medaille



D'honneur avec glaives en

BUCK, W. C.
Fitter, Carriage Department
bronze

CHURCH, B. J.
Labourer, Carriage Department
Military Medal

COLTON, R. J.
Fitter, Carriage Department
Military Medal


Apprentice Finisher, Carriage


COOK, W. F.
Department
Military Medal






Military Medal.



Also awarded Bar to Military

DANIELLS, G.
Labourer, Carriage Department
Medal

FRANCKLOW, R. G.
Painter, Carriage Department
Military Medal

HART, A J.
Finisher, Carriage Department
Military Medal



Military Medal.



Also awarded Meritorious

HENSON, H.T.
Finisher, Carriage Department
Service Medal

HOLLYOAKE, A G.
Brass Finisher, Carriage Department
Military Medal
Missing, and presumed dead
HULL, A
Brass Finisher, Carriage Department
Military Medal
Killed in action, 4th June, 1918.
IRESON, E. J.
Coachmaker, Carriage Department
Military Medal

JONES, W. G. H.
Labourer, Carriage Department
Military Medal



Military Medal.



Also awarded Medaille



D'honneur avec glaives en

LANE,G.
Fitters Labourer, Carriage Department
bronze



Military Medal.

MASON, W.
Labourer, Carriage Department
Also mentioned in despatches

MAY,A E,
Fitter, Carriage Department
Military Medal



Military Medal.



Also awarded the Italian Croce

ODELL,G.H.
Labourer, Carriage Department
di guerra

ROGERS, R. A
Coachmaker, Carriage Department
Military Medal



Military Medal.



Also awarded First and Second

SANDERS, W.
Finisher, Carriage Department
Bars to Military Medal

SIMONS, W.J.
Coachmaker, Carriage Department
Military Medal

STONE, F.
Machinist, Carriage Department
Military Medal



Military Medal.



Also awarded Medaille



D'honneur avec glaives en

STONES, J. T.
Rubber, Carriage Department
bronze

TAPP, G. J.
Lifter, Carriage Department
Military Medal

TOWNSEND, A W.
Fitter, Carriage Department
Military Medal

WALKER, A W.
Labourer, Carriage Department
Military Medal





Workshop Checker, Carriage

WILLINGHAM, H.
Department
Military Medal
WILLIS, A T.
Labourer, Carriage Department
Military Medal
WISON, S.
Cleaner, Carriage Department
Military Medal
WISE, W. F.
Coachmaker, Carriage Department
Military Medal
AGER, W.G.
Labourer, Carriage Department
Meritorious Service Medal


Meritorious Service Medal.
CANVIN, H. A
Fitter, Carriage Department
Also a Mentioned in Despatches
COLES, S.
Clerk, Carriage Department
Meritorious Service Medal
COX,J. T.
Inspector, Carriage Department
Meritorious Service Medal
DA VIES, S. M.
Body-maker, Carriage Department
Meritorious Service Medal
HENSON, F. V.
Electric Fitter, Carriage Department
Meritorious Service Medal
JONES, E.
Trimmer, Carriage Department
Meritorious Service Medal
LLOYD, J.
Fitter, Carriage Department
Meritorious Service Medal
MACKEY,F.
Finisher, Carriage Department
Meritorious Service Medal
McBRIGHT, S.
Clerk, Carriage Department
Meritorious Service Medal
NICHOLSON, H. P.
Fitter, Carriage Department
Meritorious Service Medal


Meritorious Service Medal.
TAYLOR, P. H.
Finisher, Carriage Department
Also a Mentioned in Despatches


Meritorious Service Medal.
TAYLOR,W.F.
Painter, Carriage Department
Also a Mentioned in Despatches


Meritorious Service Medal.
WAINE,H.
Painter, Carriage Department
Also a Mentioned in Despatches
WILLSON, A J.
Clerk, Carriage Department
Meritorious Service Medal
HILL, W. R.
Fitter, Carriage Department
French Croix de Guerre


Roumanian Medaille Barbatie Si
JONES, F. G.
Rubber, Carriage Department
Credinta, 1 st Class


Roumanian Medaille Barbatie Si
WOOLLEY, F. B.
Polisher, Carriage Department
Credinta, 1 st Class
CARTER, J. H.
Gas Fitter, Carriage Department
Mentioned in Despatches
GARDINER, W. G. J.


P.
Fitter, Carriage Department
Mentioned in Despatches
IBELL, J. O.
Coachmaker, Carriage Department
Mentioned in Despatches
SYRETT, G. A
Labourer, Carriage Department
Mentioned in Despatches



TABERNER, T. M.
Clerk, Carriage Department
Mentioned in Despatches
WARREN, J. D.
Clerk, Carriage Department
Mentioned in Despatches
WILLIAMS, H. M.
Assistant to Carriage Superintendent
Mentioned in Despatches