The amendment to his list is the date of Henry Quartley's incumbency. Samuel Hale died in 1794 and Quartley, who was a nephew of a former Radcliffe Trust estate manager, was appointed thereafter. e was certainly the incumbent in 1797 when he began to make representations to the Trust for a building and repair program. Ratcliffe says that he was also appointed to the living of Stantonbury in 1832, which he was, but this date is shown as his appointment to Wolverton in a history of Holy Trinity, when by this time he was fully entrenched. Quartley died in 1838 and was succeeded by his son, Henry Reade Quartley.
VICARS OF HOLY TRINITY
1240 Alan1260 Thomas1260 William Bullingham1274 Robert de Buckingham1298 Ralph de Wolverton1298 John de Ely1334 Richard Ordwy1361 Henry1361 Adam Vincent de Caldecote1370 John Waite1371 John Syward1390 John Napper1394 Richard Dey1404 Thomas Wychewode1405 Robert Gornesthorpe1405 John King1411 Robert Bengrove1417 William Dalby1431 Thomas Legeley1435 Richard Stacey1438 Simon Fitzralph1438 Nicholas Pardon1447 Thomas Spencer1452 Nicholas Pardon1452 John Daventre1457 William Camyle1477 John Hancock1517 William Herose1543 John Rawlinson1546 George Turner1587 Ralph Langford1596 Robert Reynolds1631 Thomas Pen1645 Robert Ladbroke1645 Gilbert Newton B.A.1660 Robert Bostock B.A.1661 Robert Duncumbe1673 Alexander Featherstone M.A .1684 Joseph Dogget M.A.1686 Edward Chebsey1702 Thomas Evans1720 Edmund Green1754 Edward Smith MA.1782 Samuel Hale L.L.B.1794 Henry Quartley1838 Henry Reade Quartley M.A.1856 William Pitt Trevelyan1871 John Wood M.A.1895 Francis Edward Rooke
I have also come across some references in the 13th century Wolverton deeds held in the Bodleian Library. These all relate to the the time when William FitzHamon was Baron, so as they are undated, they could relate to any time between 1220 and 1247.
In one deed (No: 49)
William son of Hamon grants and confirms to William Capellanus of Wolverton with 1/2 virgate in Wolverton which Hugh Capellanus once held.In another deed (244) he is a witness as William the vicar of Wullverton, and in another (474) the grant of a piece of land is described as between the land of Master William Vicar of Wlverton.
The deeds clearly describe William as Vicar of Wolverton and the first deed identifies a half-virgate of land (15 acres) which was probably assigned to support the vicar.
This would suggest a line of Hugh, followed by William, before Alan becomes the incumbent circa 1240.
For the most part these vicars maintained a living by having a piece of land attached to the church, usually known as glebe land, and through tithes - payment in kind of a fraction of the yield of the peasantry. Some of this was used to maintain the church and support the Priory. After the dissolution of the monasteries these practices continued until the church and rectory came back into the hands of the Longueville family in the 17th century. For about 100 years after that the income of the vicar was a matter of dispute until it was finally put to rest through a court hearing in 1805.