Saturday, July 3, 2010

Spencer Street


First, a confession. When I heard that there was a movement to preserve these houses when they were planning to demolish these streets back in the late 1960s I was incredulous. Why on earth, I thought, would anyone want to preserve these characterless terraces constructed in (to my aesthetic) a rather ugly yellow brick? Well, I was wrong (not for the first time in my life) and the campaigners more visionary than I gave them credit for.
The planters and the greenery and the absence of car parking at the front does a great deal for the appearance of the terrace, but the rather sickly yellow ochre colour of the brick has acquired a patina or has perhaps been neutralized over time to a more acceptable beige. I like it.
I had a brief conversation with a young man sporting hair that had been dyed white and pink and he told me that he enjoyed living there and that there was a good community spirit in new Bradwell. I would note from the wide open windows in all houses on this rather sultry day that insulation is not as good as it could be.

No comments: