Saturday, June 26, 2010

A day in Wolverton

Well that was a great day. I met some old friends and a lot of interesting people who were all enthusiastic about Wolverton and its past. I was quite unprepared for the demand for the book and after selling out quite early took orders for another 54.
Digital, on-demand printing makes all this possible. Only a few years ago I would have had to take delivery of a significant number from the printer and keep them stored in a cupboard until they sold out. Now, with a few mouse clicks, I can place quite small orders and have them delivered in a few days. the other great advantage is that I can make corrections easily. Last week someone pointed out that I had two house numbers transposed. A few minutes work on the computer and that correction was quickly made for the next printing. This is an organic process!
Many thanks too to Linda Winstanley and Lesley at St Andrew's Bookshop who worked extremely hard while customers were crowding the shop. There was no bookshop in Wolverton during my growing years, and if you were a book buyer you had to go to Northampton or Bedford.  It's a good resource for the community. I hope it continues.

No comments: